Main » Russia’s national and regional energy policies
Developing recommendations on enhancements to the energy policy
ERI RAS was set up in 1985 by a decision of the government of the USSR to undertake fundamental research as part of developing the national energy policy. During the entire history of ERI RAS, this direction has always remained a key one.
In 1992 ERI RAS became the leading organisation in preparing the Conceptual Framework of the new energy policy, and later the Energy Strategy of Russia. In the new century the Institute took part in developing the Energy Strategy of Russia -2020 and the Energy Strategy -2030 and general schemes for the development of the industries in the fuel and energy sector.
The main task of the research undertaken by ERI RAS is to develop recommendations on enhancing the government’s policy in the energy sphere, taking into account the balance of interests of energy producers and consumers and based on the economic development goals and the situation in external energy markets.
These recommendations include the following:
• Preparing and expertly evaluating programme documents relating to the development of the fuel and energy sector and the economy (Energy Strategy of Russia and development strategies (schemes) of the industries in the fuel and energy sector).
• Research and preparation of effective development strategies of the fuel and energy sector at the national and regional levels, as well as development strategies for individual economic sectors.
• Developing the government policy to increase energy effectiveness in the economy as a whole and reduce energy intensity in individual economic sectors.
• Forming long term government priorities and working out Russia’s position in international agreements as part of the post-Kyoto process aiming to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, evaluation of economic prospects and analysis of various measures promoting low carbon development of the economy and the energy sector.
• Working out rational mechanisms for regulating the development of the economy and the energy sector in the market conditions, including defining goals, methods, means and timelines for restructuring domestic energy markets, key provisions of the government’s legislative, pricing, tariff, taxation and investment policies in the sphere of production, transportation and sales of fuel and energy resources.
• Working out Russia’s position in relation to the national and global energy security.
• Developing key provisions of international energy cooperation between Russia and other countries, preparing a statement and an action plan for the G8 summit on global energy security, participation in Russia-EU energy dialogue and preparation of the Cooperation Roadmap for the period up to 2050.
• Developing programmes to improve power facilities in the regions – from federal districts to individual subjects of the Russian Federation.
• Producing recommendations to increase the effectiveness of external economic activities of the companies in the fuel and energy sector.
Recommendations by ERI RAS form the basis of many conceptual documents relating to the energy policy of Russia and the CIS states. They are also incorporated in the development of international cooperation mechanisms and foreign economic development strategies.